How To Choose The Right Video On Demand Hosting Solution
Welcome aboard our digital ship! We set sail on a journey to explore the vast ocean of Video on Demand (VOD) hosting solutions.
It's clear that the VOD wave is not just coming—it's already here, and it's sweeping across industries. And it’s not just large businesses; content creators also need a fast and affordable way to store large amounts of video content.
According to a BBC study, the worldwide Video-on-Demand (VoD) market, which was valued at $80.6 billion, is projected to nearly double to $170.9 billion by 2027. This represents a healthy compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.2% over the five-year period from 2022 to 2027.
But to ride this wave, you need more than just compelling content—you need the right VOD hosting solution.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore the different types of VOD hosting solutions, discuss key considerations to keep in mind while choosing a solution, delve into specific platforms, and much more. So grab your captain's hat and prepare to navigate your way to the perfect VOD hosting solution for your needs!
What is VOD Hosting?
VOD stands for video on demand. VOD platforms allow users to upload, store, and playback video content. Some platforms allow you to keep your videos public or restrict video access to specific groups of people. The choice is yours!
There are several VOD monetization models, including:
- Transactional (TVOD — users pay for each piece of content they watch (a.k.a. pay per view)
- Subscription (SVOD) — users pay a recurring fee for access to a library of content (like Netflix and Amazon Prime)
- Ad-supported (AVOD) — users watch content for free but are shown advertisements (like YouTube)
The best VOD platforms will offer all of these options.
Types of VOD Hosting
Let’s go briefly over the different options for hosting video on demand.
Self-hosting VOD solutions offer businesses complete control over their video content, including storage, accessibility, monetization, and data collection, by hosting and delivering videos through their own or rented servers. However, it requires managing technical aspects such as server capacity, cross-device compatibility, and video delivery issues.
Video Sharing Platforms
Video on demand hosting services such as YouTube provide free VOD hosting, which allows users to upload and store video content. The features on offer here are very basic, however. YouTube doesn’t allow you to monetize your content other than via advertisements. You must also agree to YouTube’s terms of service and community guidelines which are becoming increasingly strict.
If you want to have full control over your content and who has access to it, a premium solution would be more suitable.
Dedicated VOD Platforms
Like self-hosting solutions, dedicated VOD hosting services offer a high degree of control over the video content and how it's delivered. The good news is that they also handle many of the technical aspects of video hosting, similar to video sharing platforms. So, it’s the best of both worlds!
Here are some of the benefits of using a dedicated VOD service such as StreamingVideoProvider.
- Professional Quality and Features: These platforms often provide advanced features and tools that enhance the presentation and delivery of your video content, such as customizable video players and 4K streaming capabilities.
- Reliability and Performance: Dedicated VOD platforms typically have a robust infrastructure in place to ensure smooth, high-quality video streaming with minimal buffering or downtime.
- Scalability: As your audience grows, a dedicated VOD platform can typically handle the increased load without requiring you to invest in additional server capacity.
- Content Management and Organization: These platforms usually include comprehensive video content management systems that allow you to easily organize and categorize your videos.
- Advanced Analytics: Dedicated VOD platforms often provide detailed analytics and insights about your viewership, which can help you understand your audience better and make more informed decisions about your content strategy.
- Monetization Options: These platforms often offer a variety of ways to monetize your content, from subscription and pay-per-view models to advertising integration.
- Security and Control: Dedicated VOD video on demand hosting providers typically offer more control over your content compared to general video sharing platforms, including security features that protect your content from unauthorized access or use.
- Multi-bitrate streaming: This allows you to deliver your content to a wide range of devices across all network conditions.
- Integration Capabilities: These platforms often provide APIs or other integration options, allowing you to seamlessly incorporate your VOD content into your existing website or platform.
- Full control over your content: Your videos are not subject to scrutiny and censorship. You have full control over your content and how you choose to deliver/sell your content online.
What Should I Look For When Choosing a VOD Hosting Platform?
Content Ownership And Control
Consider who retains ownership of your content and how much control you have over it. Look for a platform that allows you to maintain full ownership and offers you the flexibility to manage access, distribution, and usage of your content.
Look closely at the different monetization options offered by the VOD hosting platform. Are you able to set up subscription models (SVOD), transactional models (TVOD), or ad-supported models (AVOD)? Which of these do you need? Which ones align with your business model?
The ability to customize your VOD platform to fit your brand's look and feel can be crucial because it’s one of the things that build trust. Customization is different with the different providers. Some might give you the ability to change the colors or add your logo. Others could include also include video player customization and white-labeling (erasing all signs of the VOD hosting provider).
The right VOD services provider will also offer good content management features. It should make organizing and distributing your content easy. This might include one-click publishing, bulk file update options, and easy uploading from multiple sources.
User Experience And Interface
The user interface should be intuitive and easy to navigate for your viewers. A good user experience can increase viewer engagement and retention. Consider how easy it is for users to find and play videos, adjust settings, and interact with your content.
Video Quality And Streaming Capabilities
The VOD platform should provide high-quality video streaming capabilities to ensure a great viewing experience. This includes a global video CDN for smooth playback worldwide and fast loading times, as well as support for high-definition and 4K video. Adaptive bitrate streaming, which adjusts video quality based on the viewer's network conditions, is also great to have for uninterrupted playback.
Security And Privacy Features
Security is crucial, especially if you're hosting premium or sensitive content. Look for features like encryption, password protection, Two-factor authentication, and IP restrictions to prevent unauthorized access or distribution of your content. Privacy features are also important to ensure compliance with regulations like the GDPR.
Accessibility And Compatibility
Viewers should be able to access your content on various devices (computers, smartphones, tablets) and across different operating systems. It's also important that it supports multiple browsers and has features for accessibility, such as closed captioning, for visually impaired users.
Scalability and Performance
As your audience grows, your VOD platform should be able to scale to accommodate increasing traffic without compromising on performance. This involves not only the ability to handle a large number of viewers but also the capacity to store and deliver a large volume of video content.
Top 5 Platforms For Video On Demand Hosting
Let’s take a look at some of the best video on demand platform providers for both businesses and content creators.
Our video hosting platform allows you to upload your content to secure servers. The global CDN, along with multi-bitrate streaming, allows you to deliver content to audiences all over the world. Even if someone were to use a 3G connection on their phone somewhere in Mainland China.
The platform comes with flexible monetization options that allow you to choose how your audience accesses your content.
Want to sell one-off access to a video? You got it!
What about a whole playlist? Easy!
Unlike YouTube and other free video hosting sites, you get to take back full control of your content
- The full range of monetization options, including pay per view, subscriptions, rentals, custom ads, and even custom pricing
- Put single videos or entire playlists behind a paywall
- Keep 100% of your earnings — no hidden fees or charges
- Easily batch upload and manage content (without censorship)
- Reliable global video content delivery network (with Mainland China support )
- White-label platform — fully customizable HTML5 video player
- Robust security options, including 2FA, watermarking, military-grade encryption, Geo and IP restrictions, and more
- High-quality video streaming capabilities
- Multi-device support (desktop, mobile, tablets, smart TVs)
- Adaptive streaming technology for smooth playback even on slow connections
- Video analytics and reporting tools
- Advanced video content management system (CMS) for easy organization and management of video library
- Live streaming capabilities for broadcasting live events
These are just a few of the features that we offer. Read more on our video hosting page.
Another white-label platform that you can use for video hosting is Dacast. It offers a flexible and easy-to-use video content management system. Like StreamingVideoProvider, Dacast’s CMS allows you to group videos together and apply changes in bulk for uploads which is a great time saver.
You can also sell access to your content via the selection of pay-per-view features available. Dacast allows you to create PPV paywalls for the playlist or video you are selling access to.
Dacast also offers adaptive bitrate streaming, meaning your content is delivered in an optimal and reliable way. This is also done via their global CDN, which has support for audiences in China.
- Global CDN, including coverage for mainland China
- Wide range of monetization options, including pay per view, subscriptions, and ad-supported models
- Adaptive bitrate streaming support
- Customizable white-label video player
- Video CMS that is good for managing a large number of files
- Multi-device compatibility (desktop, mobile, tablets, smart TVs)
Another on-demand video hosting platform worth considering for video hosting is Brightcove. Brightcove’s platform allows for the quick and easy upload of files to their robust and reliable servers. Although Brightcove has a reliable CDN with 16 global data centers, there is currently no support for Mainland China.
Brightcove offers adaptive streaming and a range of monetization options. Monetization options are available via custom-priced plans.
Brightcove is a secure platform supporting DRM, AES encryption, and SSO. You can also configure Geo or IP restrictions to limit playback to specific regions or networks.
- Lots of features geared toward marketing
- Good for large organizations and businesses
- Global CDN
- Selection of robust security features
- Multi-bitrate streaming to accommodate various devices and internet connections
Muvi offers a complex CMS that allows you to manage and organize your content. It can take a bit of getting used to initially, but once you become familiar with its interface, Muvi is a very powerful platform.
This provider supports multi-bitrate streaming and a wide range of monetization options. This includes PPV and advertising.
You can also configure your content to only be viewable within a certain geographic region or network via Geo and IP restrictions.
- Global CDN (although no support for China)
- Customizable whitelist and good restriction options
- Multi-bitrate streaming
- Good monetization options to choose from
- White-label customization of video player
Kaltura is a video on demand hosting service geared towards large organizations. This means that it can be more expensive than some of the other platforms here, but it is still worth keeping in mind.
Kaltura supports adaptive streaming and has a great machine transcription and captioning service. This is great for those wanting to make their content as accessible as possible.
Your content is always safe with Kaltura. DRM and dynamic watermarking, in addition to IP and Geo restrictions, are some of the security features available here.
The only downside is Kaltura lacks the comprehensive monetization options boasted by some of the other platforms here.
- Search within your content using captioning
- Good security options
- Domain and IP restrictions
- Bulk uploading
- Manage and organize your content
Let’s cover some more commonly asked questions about VOD hosting.
VOD, or Video on Demand, is a technology that allows users to select, download, or stream video content at their convenience, instead of having to watch at a specific broadcast time.
This technology is widely used in various forms of media, from television and movies to educational content and webinars. It provides users with the freedom to watch content whenever they want, typically from a wide range of devices, including smart TVs, computers, tablets, and smartphones.
A video on demand platform allows users or businesses to store their video content online. This works via uploading the video file from your computer to the hosting platform for storage and management.
Platforms such as YouTube offer basic functionality. Premium platforms allow you to monetize and password-protect your videos, and much more.
First and foremost, video content is increasingly important for engaging audiences. Studies show that users are far more likely to engage with video content than with text or images. VOD allows businesses to deliver this content in a way that is convenient and accessible for their audience.
What is even better, VOD hosting solutions provide businesses with control over their content. This includes control over how the content is presented, who can access it, and how it is monetized.
Another upside is that VOD hosting services can provide valuable data and insights about the people watching your videos. This can inform future content strategies and help you better understand your audience.
Last but not least, VOD hosting can be a significant revenue generator. Whether you want to do pay per view, subscriptions, or custom ads, a VOD platform will give you the tools you need.
Here's a basic outline of how VOD works:
- Content Creation: This is the first step where the video content is created. This could be anything from a movie or TV show to a tutorial or a webinar.
- Content Encoding: The content is then digitized and encoded into a suitable digital format. This is usually done using special software which compresses the video and converts it into a streamable format.
- Content Upload: The encoded content is then uploaded to a VOD server. This server could be owned by a VOD service provider or a third-party hosting service.
- Content Delivery: When a user requests a video, the server sends the video data over the internet. This is usually done using streaming protocols that allow the video to be played while the rest of it is being downloaded.
- Content Playback: The user's device receives the video data, decodes it, and plays it back on the user's screen. This can be done through a web browser, a dedicated app, or a digital media player.
There are many benefits of VOD hosting, but the most important ones are:
- Flexibility: Users can watch content whenever and wherever they want, as long as they have an internet connection. This is a huge advantage over traditional scheduled broadcasts.
- Monetization: VOD hosting allows content creators to monetize their videos through various models, such as subscriptions, rentals, purchases, and advertising.
- Global Reach: With VOD, content can be made available to a worldwide audience, expanding potential viewership and revenue opportunities.
- Analytics: VOD platforms often provide detailed analytics, which can provide valuable insights into viewer behavior and preferences.
- Control: Content creators have full control over their content, including how and when it is made available and how much it costs.
Platforms such as StreamingVideoProvider allow you to easily create your own video on demand service. This means that you can sell access to specific videos, playlists, or categories. You can also password-protect videos and grant access to select users. This is also great for teams and internal business collaboration projects.
Streaming describes live streamed content, whereas VoDs are video files stored online. You can, of course, watch a VOD from a completed live stream, too.
There are a lot of VOD platforms to choose from. It can be overwhelming, we get it. But what really matters is to find the one that ticks all your boxes when it comes to essential features. We hope our list of the best VOD platforms will help you.
Having full control over your content doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg, either. StreamingVideoProvider’s mission is to provide you with all of the top VOD hosting features without breaking the bank. You can view our pricing plans over on our website.
Whether you are looking to create a video portal that integrates with your LMS or are looking to sell access to your own content, we have you covered. You should be now ready to choose the right video on demand hosting platform for you!
To find out more about VOD hosting or live streaming, check out the links below.
- How To Start A Pay-Per-View Website In 6 Easy Steps
- What Is Video On Demand?
- The 25 Most Fun Things To Do On A Live Stream
- WordPress Video Hosting Solutions: Choosing The Right Platform
- 5 Proven Tactics For Promoting Your Content on Social Media
You Can Start A Private Stream Right NowTry It Free